What does Catherine mean?
The meaning of Catherine is "pure, chaste".
Catherine is generally used as a girl's name.
It consists of 9 letters and 3 syllables and is pronounced Ca-the-rine.
The Given Name Catherine
Catherine is good for parents who want a name that is classic and elegant.
An auspicious name, it is one that will be admired.
Solidly popular, this one is a keeper.
Catherine falls into the classic name category.
Some famous bearers of this name include: Catherine Bach, Catherine Bell, and Catherine Bennet.
In contrast, the year before it ranked 170 in baby name popularity for girls with 1934 occurrences. Less than 5 boys were given the name.
View the Catherine Name Popularity Page to see how the popularity trend for Catherine has changed since 1880, or to compare the popularity of Catherine to other names.
Catherine Related Names
Variants of the name Catherine include Cathryn.
Catherine has the diminutive (nickname) Cathy.
- Catherine Bach ~ Actress
- Catherine Bell ~ Actress
- Catherine Bennet ~ Pride and Prejudice character
- Catherine de Saint Augustin ~ Saint
- Catherine Deneuve ~ Actress
- Catherine Earnshaw ~ Wuthering Heights character
- Catherine Hicks ~ Actress
- Catherine Jarrige ~ Saint
- Catherine Keener ~ Actress
- Catherine Laboure ~ Saint
- Catherine Morland ~ Northanger Abbey character
- Catherine of Alexandria ~ Saint
- Catherine Soiron ~ Saint
- Catherine Zeta Jones ~ Actress
It may all be in the numbers.
The numbers that make up your child's name.
Numerology may give you some insight.
Children named Catherine are often bold and brisk but most of all they are read more >>
Catherine Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.