What does Jan mean?
The meaning of Jan is "G-d is gracious".
Jan is used as both a boys and girls name.
It consists of 3 letters and 1 syllable and is pronounced Jan, Yahn.
The Given Name Jan
The modern form is a revival of the Middle English name Jan which is a shortened form of the Middle English name Johannes or Johan.
As a girls name, it developed as either a feminine form of John or a shortened form of names beginning with Jan.
Some famous bearers of this name include: Jan Adalbert Balicki, Jan Berchmans, and Jan Berrie Burger.
In contrast, the year before less than 5 girls were given the name. It ranked 2,155 in baby name popularity for boys with 63 occurrences.
The trend's your friend. See how Jan has changed in popularity since 1880 by visiting the Jan Name Popularity Page.
Jan Related Names
The name Jana is a form of Jan.
- Jan Adalbert Balicki ~ Saint
- Jan Berchmans ~ Saint
- Jan Berrie Burger ~ Cricket Player
- Jan Beyzym ~ Saint
- Jan Ceulemans ~ Soccer Player
- Jan de Quay ~ Dutch Prime Minister (1959-1963)
- Jan Decleir ~ Actor
- Jan Heemskerk ~ Dutch Prime Minister (1874-1877; 1883-1888)
- Jan Hudec, Jr. ~ Skier
- Jan I Albert ~ Polish King (1492-1501)
- Jan II Casimir ~ Polish King (1648-1668)
- Jan III ~ Polish King (1674-1696)
- Jan Jacob Rochussen ~ Dutch Prime Minister (1858-1860)
- Jan Jongbloed ~ Soccer Player
- Jan Kappeyne van de Coppello ~ Dutch Prime Minister (1877-1879)
- Jan Nepomucene ~ Saint
- Jan of Kanty ~ Saint
- Jan of Ruysbroeck ~ Saint
- Jan Oort ~ Scientist
- Jan Peter Balkenende ~ Dutch Prime Minister (2002-2010)
- Jan Peters ~ Soccer Player
- Jan Poortvliet ~ Soccer Player
- Jan Sarkander ~ Saint
- Jan Siemerink ~ Tennis Player
- Jan Smit ~ Musician
- Jan Stenerud ~ Football Player
- Jan the Blind ~ Bohemian King (1310-1346)
- Jan Tinbergen ~ Nobel Prize for Economics 1969
- Jan van Eyck ~ Artist
- Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink ~ Soccer Player
- Jan Vermeer ~ Artist
- Jan Vos ~ Writer
- Jan Wolkers ~ Artist, Writer
- Jan Wouters ~ Soccer Player
Jan Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.