What does Richard mean?
The meaning of Richard is "powerful ruler".
Richard is generally used as a boy's name.
It consists of 7 letters and 2 syllables and is pronounced Ri-chard.
The Given Name Richard
The name was introduced to Britain by the Normans.
Richard was the name of three of England's kings including Richard I the Lionheart, who lead the Third Crusade in the 12th century.
Richard falls into the name categories classic, easy nickname.
Some famous bearers of this name include: Richard 'Goose' Gossage, and Richard Adolf Zsigmondy.
[ Mouse over or click on image for credit & details. ]
In contrast, the year before it ranked 174 in baby name popularity for boys with 2,279 occurrences. Less than 5 girls were given the name.
View the Richard Name Popularity Page to see how the popularity trend for Richard has changed since 1880, or to compare the popularity of Richard to other names.
Richard Related Names
Variants of the name Richard include Richad.
The names Edrigu, Rhisiart, Ricard, Ricarda, Ricardo, Riccardo, Riccia, Ricco, Richarda, Richere, Rickard, Rickardo, Rickert, Rihard, Rihards, Rikard, Rikert, Rikhard, Rikkard, Risteard, Ruiseart, Ryker, Ryszard are all forms of Richard.
Richard has the diminutives (nicknames) Dicie, Dick, Dickey, Dickie, Dicky, Ric, Rich, Richie, Richy, Rick, Rickey, Ricki, Ricky.
- Richard ~ 1 hurricane, Saint
- Richard 'Goose' Gossage ~ Baseball Player
- Richard Adolf Zsigmondy ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1925
- Richard Arkwright ~ Scientist
- Richard Armitage ~ Actor
- Richard Attenborough ~ Actor
- Richard Axel ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 2004
- Richard Bere ~ Saint
- Richard Branson ~ Business Mogul
- Richard Burton ~ Actor
- Richard Chamberlain ~ Actor
- Richard Cromwell ~ English King (1658-1659)
- Richard Dawkins ~ Scientist
- Richard Dean Anderson ~ Actor
- Richard Dent ~ Football Player
- Richard Dreyfuss ~ Actor
- Richard E. Byrd ~ Explorer
- Richard E. Grant ~ Actor
- Richard E. Taylor ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1990
- Richard F. Heck ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 2010
- Richard Fetherston ~ Saint
- Richard Feynman ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1965, Scientist
- Richard Flower ~ Saint
- Richard Francis Burton ~ Explorer
- Richard Gere ~ Actor
- Richard Griffiths ~ Actor
- Richard Gwyn ~ Saint
- Richard Harris ~ Actor
- Richard Herst ~ Saint
- Richard Hill ~ Saint
- Richard Holiday ~ Saint
- Richard I the Lionheart ~ English King (1189-1199)
- Richard II ~ English King (1377-1399)
- Richard III ~ Richard III character, English King (1483-1485)
- Richard J. Roberts ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1993
- Richard Karn ~ Actor
- Richard Kiley ~ Actor
- Richard Kirkman ~ Saint
- Richard Krajicek ~ Tennis Player
- Richard Kuhn ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1938
- Richard Langhorne ~ Saint
- Richard Langley ~ Saint
- Richard Laurence Millington Synge ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1952
- Richard Leigh ~ Saint
- Richard Madden ~ Actor
- Richard Martin ~ Saint
- Richard McDonald ~ Business Mogul
- Richard Mulligan ~ Actor
- Richard Newport ~ Saint
- Richard Nixon ~ U. S. President (1969-1974)
- Richard of Cornwall ~ German King (1257-1271)
- Richard of Lucca ~ Saint
- Richard of Vaucelles ~ Saint
- Richard Pryor ~ Actor
- Richard R. Ernst ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1991
- Richard R. Schrock ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 2005
- Richard Reynolds ~ Saint
- Richard Rolle of Hampole ~ Saint
- Richard Roxburgh ~ Actor
- Richard Schiff ~ Actor
- Richard Serra ~ Artist
- Richard Smalley ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1996
- Richard Stone ~ Nobel Prize for Economics 1984
- Richard Strauss ~ Classical Musician
- Richard Thirkeld ~ Saint
- Richard Thomas ~ Actor
- Richard von Weizsacker ~ German President (1984-1994)
- Richard Wagner ~ Classical Musician
- Richard Whiting ~ Saint
- Richard Willstatter ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1915
- Richard Witschge ~ Soccer Player
- Richard Wyche ~ Saint
- Richard Yaxley ~ Saint
Want to know how your name choice may effect your child?
Then take a look at the Numerological Report For Richard.
It may give you some insight about your new baby.
Children named Richard are often jaded and sentimental but most of all they are read more >>
Richard Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.
Just for fun, see the name Richard in Hieroglyphics, learn about ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphics and write a Hieroglyphic message.
Learn about nautical flags and see your name or message written in nautical flags, on the Richard in Nautical Flags page.