What does Charles mean?
The meaning of Charles is "free man, strong".
Charles is generally used as a boy's name.
It consists of 7 letters and 2 syllables and is pronounced Char-les.
The Given Name Charles
It is often used as an anglicized form of the Scottish Gaelic Tearlach and the Irish Gaelic Cearbhall or Cormac.
Charles is a form of Carolus. See Carolus for further details.
Charles is quite a delightful name and a welcome find.
A special name that is sure to be loved.
Although often used, your attractive little Charles, is sure to make it all his own.
Charles falls into the classic name category.
Some famous bearers of this name include: Charles 'Chief' Bender, Charles 'Kid' Nichols, and Charles 'Old Hoss' Radbourn.
In contrast, the year before it ranked 48 in baby name popularity for boys with 7,162 occurrences. It ranked 8,880 in baby name popularity for girls with 12 occurrences.
Want to see how Charles sizes up? How it compares to some other names? Then check out the Charles Name Popularity Page.
Charles Related Names
Variants of the name Charles include Carl, Charleson, Charleston, Charleton, Charlse, Charlton, Chars.
The names Carlis, Carlita, Carlo, Carloman, Carlon, Carlos, Carlose, Carloss, Carlous, Carolos, Carols, Charline, Charlotte, Charmaine, Kaarle, Kaarlo, Kale, Karcsi, Karel, Searlas, Searle, Searlus, Siarl, Xandria, Xandy, Xarles are all forms of Charles.
Charles has the diminutives (nicknames) Charley, Charlie, Charlsey, Charlsy, Charly, Chas, Chaz, Chip, Chuck.
- Charles 'Chief' Bender ~ Baseball Player
- Charles 'Kid' Nichols ~ Baseball Player
- Charles 'Old Hoss' Radbourn ~ Baseball Player
- Charles 'Stretch' Murphy ~ Basketball Player
- Charles 'Tarzan' Cooper ~ Basketball Player
- Charles Albert Gobat ~ Nobel Prize for Peace 1902
- Charles Alston ~ Artist
- Charles Aranguiz ~ Soccer Player
- Charles Augustin de Coulomb ~ Scientist
- Charles Aznavour ~ Musician
- Charles Babbage ~ Scientist
- Charles Baker Harris ~ To Kill a Mockingbird character
- Charles Barkley ~ Basketball Player
- Charles Baudelaire ~ Writer
- Charles Bingley ~ Pride and Prejudice character
- Charles Brenton Huggins ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1966
- Charles Bronson ~ Actor
- Charles Bukowski ~ Writer
- Charles Coburn ~ Actor
- Charles Cousin Montauban, Comte de Palikao ~ French Prime Minister (1870)
- Charles Dance ~ Actor
- Charles Darnay ~ A Tale of Two Cities character
- Charles Darwin ~ Scientist
- Charles David Keeling ~ Scientist
- Charles de Foucauld ~ Saint
- Charles de Freycinet ~ French Prime Minister (1879-1880; 1882; 1886; 1890-1892)
- Charles de Gaulle ~ French Prime Minister (1958-1959), French President (1959-1969)
- Charles de Sayn ~ Saint
- Charles Dibdin ~ Musician
- Charles Dickens ~ Writer
- Charles Digby Harrod ~ Business Mogul
- Charles Duclerc ~ French Prime Minister (1882-1883)
- Charles Dupuy ~ French Prime Minister (1893; 1894-1895; 1898-1899)
- Charles edouard Guillaume ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1920
- Charles Edwards ~ Actor
- Charles Floquet ~ French Prime Minister (1888-1889)
- Charles Foster Kane ~ Citizen Kane character
- Charles G. Dawes ~ Nobel Prize for Peace 1925
- Charles Garnier ~ Saint
- Charles Glover Barkla ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1917
- Charles Goodyear ~ Scientist
- Charles Gounod ~ Musician
- Charles Grey ~ British Prime Minister (1830-1834)
- Charles Grodin ~ Actor
- Charles Hamilton ~ Gone With the Wind character
- Charles Hard Townes ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1964
- Charles Henry Harrod ~ Business Mogul
- Charles Hyon Song mun ~ Saint
- Charles I ~ English King (1625-1649), Scottish King (1625-1649)
- Charles I of Austria ~ Saint
- Charles I the Great ~ French King (768-814)
- Charles II ~ Scottish King (1649-1685), English King (1660-1685)
- Charles II the Bald ~ French King (843-877)
- Charles III the Simple ~ French King (898-922)
- Charles Itandje ~ Soccer Player
- Charles IV the Fair ~ French King (1322-1328)
- Charles IX ~ French King (1560-1574)
- Charles J. Pedersen ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1987
- Charles K. Kao ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 2009
- Charles Laughton ~ Actor
- Charles Lindbergh ~ Explorer
- Charles Louis Alphonse Laveran ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1907
- Charles Lwanga ~ Saint
- Charles M. Schwab ~ Business Mogul
- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand Perigord ~ French Prime Minister (1815)
- Charles Messier ~ Scientist
- Charles Mingus ~ Jazz Musician
- Charles Musgrove ~ Persuasion character
- Charles Nicolle ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1928
- Charles of Blois ~ Saint
- Charles of Mount Argus ~ Saint
- Charles Perrault ~ Writer
- Charles Richet ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1913
- Charles Rolls ~ Business Mogul
- Charles Ruijs de Beerenbrouck ~ Dutch Prime Minister (1918-1925; 1929-1933)
- Charles S. Dutton ~ Actor
- Charles Scott Sherrington ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1932
- Charles Shaughnessy ~ Actor
- Charles Sturt ~ Explorer
- Charles T. Hinde ~ Business Mogul
- Charles the Fat ~ French King (884-888)
- Charles the Good ~ Saint
- Charles Thomson Rees Wilson ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1927
- Charles Tiffany ~ Business Mogul
- Charles Trask ~ East of Eden character
- Charles Tupper ~ Canadian Prime Minister (1896)
- Charles V the Wise ~ French King (1364-1380)
- Charles VI the Mad ~ French King (1380-1422)
- Charles VII the Victorious ~ French King (1422-1461)
- Charles VIII ~ French King (1483-1498)
- Charles Watson Wentworth ~ British Prime Minister (1765-1766; 1782)
- Charles X ~ French King (1824-1830)
Destiny Number, Life Path Number, Soul Urge and Personality Number. These Numerological numbers may tell your child's story. Take a look at the Numerology Of Charles.
Children named Charles are often sure-footed and ethical but most of all they are read more >>
Charles Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.
Just for fun, see the name Charles in Hieroglyphics, learn about ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphics and write a Hieroglyphic message.
Learn about nautical flags and see your name or message written in nautical flags, on the Charles in Nautical Flags page.