What does Alfred mean?
The meaning of Alfred is "elf counsel".
Alfred is generally used as a boy's name.
It consists of 6 letters and 2 syllables and is pronounced Al-fred.
The Given Name Alfred
As most Old English names were replaced by Norman ones after the Norman conquest, Alfred (along with Edward) is a rare example of a distinctively old English name that is used widely on the continent. In both cases it was probably due to the fame of royalty associated with the name, in this case Alfred the Great.
Alfred falls into the classic name category.
Some famous bearers of this name include: Alfred Deakin, Alfred G. Gilman, and Alfred Hermann Fried.
In contrast, the year before it ranked 845 in baby name popularity for boys with 264 occurrences. Less than 5 girls were given the name.
View the Alfred Name Popularity Page to see how the popularity trend for Alfred has changed since 1880, or to compare the popularity of Alfred to other names.
Alfred Related Names
Variants of the name Alfred include Alfrid.
- Alfred Deakin ~ Australian Prime Minister (1903-1904; 1905-1908; 1909-1910)
- Alfred G. Gilman ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1994
- Alfred Hermann Fried ~ Nobel Prize for Peace 1911
- Alfred Hershey ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1969
- Alfred Hitchcock ~ Film Director
- Alfred Kastler ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1966
- Alfred Molina ~ Actor
- Alfred Nobel ~ Business Mogul, Scientist
- Alfred Peet ~ Business Mogul
- Alfred Russel Wallace ~ Scientist
- Alfred Sisley ~ Artist
- Alfred Tennyson ~ Writer
- Alfred the Great ~ English King (871-899), Saint
- Alfred Wegener ~ Scientist
- Alfred Werner ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1913
It may all be in the numbers.
The numbers that make up your child's name.
Numerology may give you some insight.
Children named Alfred are often dramatic and hesitant but most of all they are read more >>
Alfred Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.