What does Arthur mean?
The meaning of Arthur is "noble strength, a bear".
It is also of Scottish origin, where its meaning is "bear".
Arthur is generally used as a boy's name.
It consists of 6 letters and 2 syllables and is pronounced Ar-thur.
The Given Name Arthur
An auspicious name, it is one that will be admired.
Arthur remains a favorite due to its bold and stylish nature.
Some famous bearers of this name include: Arthur Ashe, and Arthur B. McDonald.
In contrast, the year before it ranked 306 in baby name popularity for boys with 1143 occurrences. Less than 5 girls were given the name.
Want to see how Arthur sizes up? How it compares to some other names? Then check out the Arthur Name Popularity Page.
Arthur Related Names
Variants of the name Arthur include Arther.
Arthur has the diminutive (nickname) Artie.
- Arthur ~ 1 hurricane, 5 storms
- Arthur Ashe ~ Tennis Player
- Arthur B. McDonald ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 2015
- Arthur Balfour ~ British Prime Minister (1902-1905)
- Arthur Bell ~ Saint
- Arthur Boka ~ Soccer Player
- Arthur C. Clarke ~ Writer
- Arthur Compton ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1927
- Arthur Conan Doyle ~ Writer
- Arthur Davidson ~ Business Mogul
- Arthur Dent ~ The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy character
- Arthur Eddington ~ Scientist
- Arthur Fadden ~ Australian Prime Minister (1941)
- Arthur Farrell ~ Ice Hockey Player
- Arthur Gride ~ Nicholas Nickleby character
- Arthur Guinness ~ Business Mogul
- Arthur Harden ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1929
- Arthur Henderson ~ Nobel Prize for Peace 1934
- Arthur Holmwood ~ Dracula character
- Arthur Kornberg ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1959
- Arthur Leonard Schawlow ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1981
- Arthur Lewis ~ Nobel Prize for Economics 1979
- Arthur Lowe ~ Actor
- Arthur Meighen ~ Canadian Prime Minister (1920-1921; 1926)
- Arthur Miller ~ Writer
- Arthur Numan ~ Soccer Player
- Arthur Radley ~ To Kill a Mockingbird character
- Arthur Rimbaud ~ Writer
- Arthur Rubinstein ~ Musician
- Arthur Sullivan ~ Musician
- Arthur Weasley ~ Harry Potter character
- Arthur Wellesley ~ Military Leader, British Prime Minister (1828-1830; 1834)
It may all be in the numbers.
The numbers that make up your child's name.
Numerology may give you some insight.
Children named Arthur are often acrobatic and outrageous but most of all they are read more >>
Arthur Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.