What does Elizabeth mean?
The meaning of Elizabeth is "G-d oath, pledged to G-d".
Elizabeth is generally used as a girl's name.
It consists of 9 letters and 4 syllables and is pronounced E-li-za-beth.
The Given Name Elizabeth
It is derived from the Hebrew elements el an abbreviated form of elohim meaning "G-d" and sheh-voo-ah meaning "oath".
Elizabeth was also the name of a 12th-century saint, two ruling queens of England (the 16th-century Elizabeth I, and the current ruling queen, Queen Elizabeth II), and by a Russian empress.
The name has been very popular in England since the reign of Queen Elizabeth I in the 16th century.
Some famous bearers of this name include: Elizabeth Ann Seton, and Elizabeth Bennet.
[ Mouse over or click on image for credit & details. ]
The trend's your friend. See how Elizabeth has changed in popularity since 1880 by visiting the Elizabeth Name Popularity Page.
Elizabeth Related Names
The names Alzbeta, Beta, Bethan, Betje, Ealasaid, Ealisaid, Eilis, Eilish, Ela, Eliisa, Eliisabet, Elika, Elikapeka, Elisabet, Elisabeta, Elisabete, Elisabeth, Elisabetta, Elisavet, Elisaveta, Elise, Elishia, Elisiana, Eliska, Elita, Elixabete, Eliza, Elizabeta, Elizabete, Elizaveta, Elka, Elsa, Elsbeth, Elzbieta, Elze, Elzira, Elzo, Emmaleth, Erssike, Erzsebet, Gerlisa, Helsa, Isabel, Isabella, Isabelle, Lieselotte, Lijsbeth, Lisabet, Lisabeth, Lisabette, Lisavet, Lisbet, Lisbeth, Liselot, Liselotte, Lisette, Lissette, Lizabeth, Lizaveta, Lizbet, Lizbeth, Lizeth, Lizette, Lizina, Orzsebet, Sibeal, Yelizaveta, Yelysaveta, Zanaide are all forms of Elizabeth.
Elizabeth has the diminutives (nicknames) Bess, Bessie, Bessy, Bet, Beth, Betina, Betsy, Betsye, Bette, Betti, Bettie, Betty, Bettye, Buffey, Buffi, Buffy, Elisa, Elise, Elsa, Else, Elsie, Elspeth, Elyza, Elze, Ilsa, Ilse, Libby, Lili, Lilian, Lis, Lisa, Lise, Litzy, Liz, Liza, Lizzie, Lyza, Lyzbeth, Tetty.
- Elizabeth ~ Biblical Character (Luke 1:5)
- Elizabeth Ann Seton ~ Saint
- Elizabeth Bennet ~ Pride and Prejudice character
- Elizabeth Blackburn ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 2009
- Elizabeth Chong Chong hye ~ Saint
- Elizabeth Elliot ~ Persuasion character
- Elizabeth I ~ English Queen (1558-1603)
- Elizabeth II ~ British Queen (1952-)
- Elizabeth Kortright Monroe ~ U. S. First Lady (1817-1825)
- Elizabeth March ~ Little Women character
- Elizabeth McGovern ~ Actress
- Elizabeth Mitchell ~ Actress
- Elizabeth Montgomery ~ Actress
- Elizabeth of Hungary ~ Saint
- Elizabeth of Schonau ~ Saint
- Elizabeth Rose ~ Saint
- Elizabeth Taylor ~ Actress
- Elizabeth the Good ~ Saint
- Elizabeth Truman ~ U. S. First Lady (1945-1953)
It may all be in the numbers.
The numbers that make up your child's name.
Numerology may give you some insight.
Children named Elizabeth are often appropriate and immaculate but most of all they are read more >>
Elizabeth Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.