What does Ernest mean?
The meaning of Ernest is "serious".
Ernest is generally used as a boy's name.
It consists of 6 letters and 2 syllables and is pronounced Er-nest.
The Given Name Ernest
Ernest is a great choice for parents looking for a more popular name.
This 2 syllable name has majesty and a positive vibe.
A name that will flow off your tongue.
Ernest falls into the classic name category.
Some famous bearers of this name include: Ernest Borgnine, and Ernest Courtot de Cissey.
In contrast, the year before it ranked 877 in baby name popularity for boys with 247 occurrences. Less than 5 girls were given the name.
Want to see how Ernest sizes up? How it compares to some other names? Then check out the Ernest Name Popularity Page.
Ernest Related Names
Variants of the name Ernest include Earnest.
- Ernest ~ Saint
- Ernest Borgnine ~ Actor
- Ernest Courtot de Cissey ~ French Prime Minister (1874-1875)
- Ernest Hemingway ~ Nobel Prize for Literature 1954, Writer
- Ernest Lawrence ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1939
- Ernest Monis ~ French Prime Minister (1911)
- Ernest Rutherford ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1908, Scientist
- Ernest Schmidt ~ Basketball Player
- Ernest Shackleton ~ Explorer
- Ernest Walton ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1951
Ernest Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.