What does Jean mean?
The meaning of Jean is "G-d is gracious".
Jean is used as both a boys and girls name.
It consists of 4 letters and 1 syllable and is pronounced Jean.
The Given Name Jean
Embraced by many parents, the name Jean, is one of warmth and grace.
Sophisticated yet luminous, the name is a great blend of character and flair.
A name that will flow off your tongue.
Some famous bearers of this name include: Jean Armel Kana Biyik, and Jean Arp.
In contrast, the year before it ranked 2,464 in baby name popularity for girls with 73 occurrences. It ranked 1,160 in baby name popularity for boys with 162 occurrences.
The trend's your friend. See how Jean has changed in popularity since 1880 by visiting the Jean Name Popularity Page.
Jean Related Names
Variants of the name Jean include Jeana, Jeane.
The names Jeanna, Sion are all forms of Jean.
Jean has the diminutives (nicknames) Jeanie, Jeannot, Jessie.
- Jean ~ Soccer Player
- Jean Armel Kana Biyik ~ Soccer Player
- Jean Arp ~ Artist
- Jean Baptist Souzy ~ Saint
- Jean Baptiste de La Salle ~ Saint
- Jean Baptiste de Villele ~ French Prime Minister (1821-1828)
- Jean Baptiste Gay, vicomte de Martignac ~ French Prime Minister (1828-1829)
- Jean Baptiste Lamarck ~ Scientist
- Jean Baptiste Lully ~ Musician
- Jean Baptiste Marie Vianney ~ Saint
- Jean Baptiste Perrin ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1926
- Jean Baptiste Poquelin 'Moliere' ~ Writer
- Jean Beausejour ~ Soccer Player
- Jean Beliveau ~ Ice Hockey Player
- Jean Bourdon ~ Saint
- Jean Casimir Perier ~ French President (1894-1895), French Prime Minister (1893-1894)
- Jean Charles Cornay ~ Saint
- Jean Chretien ~ Canadian Prime Minister (1993-2003)
- Jean Claude Van Damme ~ Actor
- Jean Cocteau ~ Writer
- Jean Daniel Akpa Akpro ~ Soccer Player
- Jean Dausset ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1980
- Jean de Dieu Soult ~ French Prime Minister (1832-1834; 1839-1840; 1840-1847)
- Jean de La Fontaine ~ Writer
- Jean du Lau ~ Saint
- Jean Dujardin ~ Actor
- Jean Eudes ~ Saint
- Jean Francois de Galaup ~ Explorer
- Jean Francois Millet ~ Artist
- Jean Francois Regis ~ Saint
- Jean Gabin ~ Actor
- Jean Gabriel Perboyre ~ Saint
- Jean Harlow ~ Actress
- Jean I ~ French King (1316)
- Jean II the Good ~ French King (1350-1364)
- Jean Joseph , Marquis Dessolles ~ French Prime Minister (1818-1819)
- Jean Louis Bonnard ~ Saint
- Jean Louisa Kelly ~ Actress
- Jean Louise Finch ~ To Kill a Mockingbird character
- Jean Luc Godard ~ Film Director
- Jean MacLaren ~ Brigadoon character
- Jean Makoun ~ Soccer Player
- Jean Marais ~ Actor
- Jean Marc Ayrault ~ French Prime Minister (2012-2014)
- Jean Marie Dongou ~ Soccer Player
- Jean Marie Lehn ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1987
- Jean Marie Pfaff ~ Soccer Player
- Jean Marsh ~ Actress
- Jean Michel Jarre ~ Musician
- Jean Michel Langevin ~ Saint
- Jean Nicolas Cordier ~ Saint
- Jean Patrick Abouna ~ Soccer Player
- Jean Paul Belmondo ~ Actor
- Jean Paul Sartre ~ Writer, Nobel Prize for Literature 1964
- Jean Philippe Rameau ~ Musician
- Jean Pierre Blanchard ~ Scientist
- Jean Pierre Raffarin ~ French Prime Minister (2002-2005)
- Jean Racine ~ Writer
- Jean Ratelle ~ Ice Hockey Player
- Jean Reno ~ Actor
- Jean Renoir ~ Film Director, Actor
- Jean Sibelius ~ Musician
- Jean Smart ~ Actress
- Jean Stapleton ~ Actress
- Jean Tirole ~ Nobel Prize for Economics 2014
- Jean Valjean ~ Les Miserables character
Want to know how your name choice may effect your child?
Then take a look at the Numerological Report For Jean.
It may give you some insight about your new baby.
Children named Jean are often concrete and well-groomed but most of all they are read more >>
Jean Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.
Just for fun, see the name Jean in Hieroglyphics, learn about ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphics and write a Hieroglyphic message.
Learn about nautical flags and see your name or message written in nautical flags, on the Jean in Nautical Flags page.