What does Mary mean?
The meaning of Mary is "bitter".
Mary is generally used as a girl's name.
It consists of 4 letters and 2 syllables and is pronounced Ma-ry.
The Given Name Mary
Mary is good for parents who want a name that is chic and enchanting.
A name fit for a child full of allure and familiarity, a little trailblazer.
Mary has no variant spellings.
Mary falls into the classic name category.
Some famous bearers of this name include: Mary Arthur McElroy, and Mary Astor.
In contrast, the year before it ranked 121 in baby name popularity for girls with 2602 occurrences. Less than 5 boys were given the name.
View the Mary Name Popularity Page to see how the popularity trend for Mary has changed since 1880, or to compare the popularity of Mary to other names.
Mary Related Names
- Mary ~ Saint, Biblical Character (Col. 4:10, John 11:20, Matt. 2:11, Rom. 16:6, John 19:25)
- Mary Arthur McElroy ~ U. S. First Lady (1881-1885)
- Mary Astor ~ Actress
- Mary Bennet ~ Pride and Prejudice character
- Mary Cattermole ~ Harry Potter character
- Mary Choun ~ Saint
- Mary Crawford ~ Mansfield Park character
- Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio ~ Actress
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead ~ Actress
- Mary Guengoro ~ Saint
- Mary Harrison McKee ~ U. S. First Lady (1892-1893)
- Mary I Queen of Scots ~ Scottish Queen (1542-1567)
- Mary I Tudor ~ English Queen (1553-1558)
- Mary II ~ Scottish Queen (1689-1694), English Queen (1689-1694)
- Mary Kate Olsen ~ Actress
- Mary Kay Place ~ Actress
- Mary Lennox ~ The Secret Garden character
- Mary MacKillop ~ Saint
- Mary Magdalen Kiota ~ Saint
- Mary Magdalene ~ Biblical Character (Matt. 27:56)
- Mary Mouser ~ Actress
- Mary Musgrove ~ Persuasion character
- Mary of Cerevellon ~ Saint
- Mary of Succor ~ Saint
- Mary Pickford ~ Actress
- Mary Poppins ~ Marry Poppins character
- Mary Riddle ~ Harry Potter character
- Mary Shelley ~ Writer
- Mary Steenburgen ~ Actress
- Mary Tanaura ~ Saint
- Mary the Slave of Rome ~ Saint
- Mary Todd Lincoln ~ U. S. First Lady (1861-1865)
- Mary Tokuan ~ Saint
- Mary Tyler Moore ~ Actress
- Mary Vaz ~ Saint
- Mary Yi In dok ~ Saint
It may all be in the numbers.
The numbers that make up your child's name.
Numerology may give you some insight.
Children named Mary are often insistent and royal but most of all they are read more >>
Mary Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.