What does Oliver mean?
The meaning of Oliver is "olive tree".
It is also of German origin, where its meaning is "elf army".
Oliver is generally used as a boy's name.
It consists of 6 letters and 3 syllables and is pronounced O-li-ver.
The Given Name Oliver
The name may also possibly stem from the the German Alfihar meaning "elf army".
The name has been used in literature since the Middle Ages. It was the name of one of Charlemagne's knights in the French poem Chanson de Roland in the 12th century.
It was the name of the title character in Oliver, a film based on the book "Oliver Twist" by Charles Dickens.
Some famous bearers of this name include: Oliver Bozanic, and Oliver Cromwell.
Want to see how Oliver sizes up? How it compares to some other names? Then check out the Oliver Name Popularity Page.
Oliver Related Names
The name Olivier is a form of Oliver.
- Oliver ~ Saint
- Oliver Bozanic ~ Soccer Player
- Oliver Cromwell ~ English King (1653-1658)
- Oliver E. Williamson ~ Nobel Prize for Economics 2009
- Oliver Goldsmith ~ Writer
- Oliver Hardy ~ Actor
- Oliver Platt ~ Actor
- Oliver Plunkett ~ Saint
- Oliver Seibert ~ Ice Hockey Player
- Oliver Smithies ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 2007
- Oliver Twist ~ Oliver Twist character
- Oliver Wood ~ Harry Potter character
- Oliver Zelenika ~ Soccer Player
It may all be in the numbers.
The numbers that make up your child's name.
Numerology may give you some insight.
Children named Oliver are often old-fashioned and jittery but most of all they are read more >>
Oliver Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.