What does Stephen mean?
The meaning of Stephen is "crown, garland".
Stephen is generally used as a boy's name.
It consists of 7 letters and 2 syllables and is pronounced Ste-phen.
The Given Name Stephen
Stephen is good for parents who want a name that is bold and memorable.
Classic yet stylish, the name is a great blend of character and flair.
Although often used, your attractive little Stephen, is sure to make it all his own.
Some famous bearers of this name include: Stephen Baldwin, and Stephen Blackpool.
In contrast, the year before it ranked 271 in baby name popularity for boys with 1,330 occurrences. Less than 5 girls were given the name.
View the Stephen Name Popularity Page to see how the popularity trend for Stephen has changed since 1880, or to compare the popularity of Stephen to other names.
Stephen Related Names
Variants of the name Stephen include Steven.
The names Atian, Estavan, Eztebe, Shtjefen, Steafan, Steaphan, Stefans, Stefanus, Stephania, Steponas, Stevan, Stiabhan, Stjepan, Szczepan, Tahvo, Talaith, Tapani, Tipene are all forms of Stephen.
Stephen has the diminutives (nicknames) Ste, Steenie, Steve, Stevie.
- Stephen ~ English King (1135-1154), Biblical Character (Acts 6:5)
- Stephen Baldwin ~ Actor
- Stephen Blackpool ~ Hard Times character
- Stephen Collins ~ Actor
- Stephen Dedalus ~ A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man; Ulysses character
- Stephen Dillane ~ Actor
- Stephen Dorff ~ Actor
- Stephen Fry ~ Actor
- Stephen Harding ~ Saint
- Stephen Harper ~ Canadian Prime Minister (2006-)
- Stephen Hawking ~ Scientist
- Stephen I ~ Saint, Pope (254-257)
- Stephen I of Hungary ~ Saint
- Stephen II ~ Pope (752-757)
- Stephen III ~ Pope (767-772)
- Stephen IV ~ Pope (816-817)
- Stephen IX ~ Pope (1057-1058)
- Stephen King ~ Writer
- Stephen Kodaly ~ She Loves Me character
- Stephen McHattie ~ Actor
- Stephen Min Kuk ka ~ Saint
- Stephen Moyer ~ Actor
- Stephen of Mar Saba ~ Saint
- Stephen of Muret ~ Saint
- Stephen of Obazine ~ Saint
- Stephen of Surozh ~ Saint
- Stephen Rea ~ Actor
- Stephen the Younger ~ Saint
- Stephen V ~ Pope (885-891)
- Stephen VI ~ Pope (896-897)
- Stephen Vihn ~ Saint
- Stephen VII ~ Pope (929-931)
- Stephen VIII ~ Pope (939-942)
- Stephen Warbeck ~ Musician
Want to know how your name choice may effect your child?
Then take a look at the Numerological Report For Stephen.
It may give you some insight about your new baby.
Children named Stephen are often grumpy and demanding but most of all they are read more >>
Stephen Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.
Just for fun, see the name Stephen in Hieroglyphics, learn about ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphics and write a Hieroglyphic message.
Learn about nautical flags and see your name or message written in nautical flags, on the Stephen in Nautical Flags page.