What does Edward mean?
The meaning of Edward is "wealthy guardian".
Edward is generally used as a boy's name.
It consists of 6 letters and 2 syllables and is pronounced Ed-ward.
The Given Name Edward
Edward is a great choice for parents looking for a more popular name.
A wonderfully classic name.
Edward is also great as a middle name.
Some famous bearers of this name include: Edward 'Duke' Ellington, Edward 'Moose' Krause, and Edward Adelbert Doisy.
In contrast, the year before it ranked 163 in baby name popularity for boys with 2,500 occurrences. Less than 5 girls were given the name.
Want to see how Edward sizes up? How it compares to some other names? Then check out the Edward Name Popularity Page.
Edward Related Names
- Edward 'Duke' Ellington ~ Musician
- Edward 'Moose' Krause ~ Basketball Player
- Edward Adelbert Doisy ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1943
- Edward B. Lewis ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1995
- Edward Balliol ~ Scottish King (1332-1336)
- Edward Bamber ~ Saint
- Edward Beale McLean ~ Business Mogul
- Edward Burden ~ Saint
- Edward C. Prescott ~ Nobel Prize for Economics 2004
- Edward Calvin Kendall ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1950
- Edward Campion ~ Saint
- Edward Charles Pickering ~ Scientist
- Edward Coleman ~ Saint
- Edward Cullen ~ Twilight character
- Edward Elgar ~ Classical Musician
- Edward Fairfax Rochester ~ Jane Eyre character
- Edward Ferrars ~ Sense and Sensibility character
- Edward Furlong ~ Actor
- Edward G. Robinson ~ Actor
- Edward Harland ~ Business Mogul
- Edward Heath ~ British Prime Minister (1970-1974)
- Edward Herrmann ~ Actor
- Edward Hopper ~ Artist
- Edward I Longshanks ~ English King (1272-1307)
- Edward II ~ English King (1307-1327)
- Edward III ~ English King (1327-1377)
- Edward IV ~ English King (1461-1470; 1471-1483)
- Edward James ~ Saint
- Edward Jenner ~ Scientist
- Edward Jones ~ Saint
- Edward Lawrie Tatum ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1958
- Edward MacDowell ~ Musician
- Edward Mills Purcell ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1952
- Edward Norton ~ Actor
- Edward Oldcorne ~ Saint
- Edward Osbaldeston ~ Saint
- Edward Poppe ~ Saint
- Edward Powell ~ Saint
- Edward Ruscha ~ Artist
- Edward Scissorhands ~ Edward Scissorhands character
- Edward Shelley ~ Saint
- Edward Smith Stanley ~ British Prime Minister (1852; 1858-1859; 1866-1868)
- Edward Stransham ~ Saint
- Edward Teller ~ Scientist
- Edward the Confessor ~ Saint, English King (1042-1066)
- Edward the Elder ~ English King (899-924)
- Edward the Martyr ~ Saint, English King (975-978)
- Edward Thwing ~ Saint
- Edward V ~ English King (1483)
- Edward VI ~ English King (1547-1553)
- Edward Victor Appleton ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1947
- Edward VII ~ British King (1901-1910)
- Edward VIII ~ British King (1936)
- Edward Waterson ~ Saint
It may all be in the numbers.
The numbers that make up your child's name.
Numerology may give you some insight.
Children named Edward are often orderly and organic but most of all they are read more >>
Edward Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.