What does Samuel mean?
The meaning of Samuel is "name of G-d, G-d has heard".
Samuel is generally used as a boy's name.
It consists of 6 letters and 3 syllables and is pronounced Sam-u-el.
The Given Name Samuel
The name derives from the Hebrew elements shem meaning "name" or shema meaning "hear, heard" and el meaning "G-d".
In Scotland the name is used as a anglicized form of the Gaelic name Somhairle.
In the Bible, Samuel's narrative is told in the Book of Samuel. He was one of the last Judges and an early prophet. He anoited Saul and David, the first two kings of Israel.
Some famous bearers of this name include: Samuel Aba, and Samuel Baker.
The trend's your friend. See how Samuel has changed in popularity since 1880 by visiting the Samuel Name Popularity Page.
Samuel Related Names
- Samuel ~ Biblical Character (1 Chr. 7:2, 1 Sam. 1:20)
- Samuel Aba ~ Hungarian King (1041-1044)
- Samuel Baker ~ Explorer
- Samuel Barber ~ Musician
- Samuel Beckett ~ Nobel Prize for Literature 1969, Writer
- Samuel C. C. Ting ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1976
- Samuel Colt ~ Scientist, Business Mogul
- Samuel de Champlain ~ Explorer
- Samuel Eto'o ~ Soccer Player
- Samuel Honrubia ~ Handball Player
- Samuel Insull ~ Business Mogul
- Samuel L. Jackson ~ Actor
- Samuel Morse ~ Scientist
- Samuel of Edessa ~ Saint
- Samuel Pepys ~ Writer
- Samuel Sachs ~ Business Mogul
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge ~ Writer
- Samuel Warren Carey ~ Scientist
- Samuel Whiskers ~ The Tale of Samuel Whiskers character
- Samuel Witwer ~ Actor
Samuel Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.