What does Alexander mean?
The meaning of Alexander is "defender of mankind".
Alexander is generally used as a boy's name.
It consists of 9 letters and 4 syllables and is pronounced A-lex-an-der.
The Given Name Alexander
In early times the name became popular in Europe due to the notoriety of one of its bearers, Alexander The Great.
In addition to Emperors and Kings the name was borne by a number of New Testament individuals as well as used by eight popes.
In Greek mythology, Alexander was another name for the great hero Paris.
Alexander falls into the classic name category.
Some famous bearers of this name include: Alexander Akimetes, and Alexander Alekhine.
View the Alexander Name Popularity Page to see how the popularity trend for Alexander has changed since 1880, or to compare the popularity of Alexander to other names.
Alexander Related Names
The names Alasdair, Alastair, Alastar, Alejandra, Alejandro, Aleksandar, Aleksander, Aleksandr, Aleksandro, Aleksanteri, Alesander, Alessandra, Alessandro, Alexandr, Alexandra, Alexandre, Alexandro, Alexandros, Alexandru, Alsandair, Alsandare, Alyssandra, Iskender, Lyaksandro, Oleksander, Sandor, Sender, Sikander, Skender are all forms of Alexander.
- Alexander ~ Saint, Biblical Character (1 Tim. 1:19, Acts 19:33, Acts 4:6, Mark 15:21), Byzantine Emperor (912-913), Pope (1409-1410)
- Alexander Akimetes ~ Saint
- Alexander Alekhine ~ Chess Player
- Alexander Balas ~ Seleucid King (150-146 BCE)
- Alexander Borodin ~ Musician
- Alexander Briant ~ Saint
- Alexander Fleming ~ Scientist, Nobel Prize for Medicine 1945
- Alexander Graham Bell ~ Scientist
- Alexander I ~ Bulgarian King (1879-1886), Pope (107-115)
- Alexander I the Fierce ~ Scottish King (1107-1124)
- Alexander II ~ Pope (1061-1073), Scottish King (1214-1249)
- Alexander II Zabinas ~ Seleucid King (128-123 BCE)
- Alexander III ~ Scottish King (1249-1286), Pope (1159-1181)
- Alexander IV ~ Pope (1254-1261)
- Alexander Kaun ~ Basketball Player
- Alexander Ludwig ~ Actor
- Alexander MacKenzie ~ Explorer, Canadian Prime Minister (1873-1878)
- Alexander Mejia ~ Soccer Player
- Alexander of Arumentum ~ Saint
- Alexander of Comana ~ Saint
- Alexander of Fermo ~ Saint
- Alexander of Jerusalem ~ Saint
- Alexander Pope ~ Writer
- Alexander Prokhorov ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1964
- Alexander R. Todd ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1957
- Alexander Rawlins ~ Saint
- Alexander Rossi ~ Driver
- Alexander Skarsgard ~ Actor
- Alexander Stubb ~ Finnish Prime Minister (2014-)
- Alexander the Great ~ Military Leader
- Alexander VI ~ Pope (1492-1503)
- Alexander VII ~ Pope (1655-1667)
- Alexander VIII ~ Pope (1689-1691)
- Alexander von Humboldt ~ Explorer
Alexander Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.