What does George mean?
The meaning of George is "farmer".
George is generally used as a boy's name.
It consists of 6 letters and 1 syllable and is pronounced George.
The Given Name George
It is from Old French, derived from the Latin name Georgius, which in turn evolved from the Greek name Georgios.
The Greek name Georgios is derived from the Greek elements gen (γη) meaning "earth" and ergon (εργον) meaning "work".
The name George was the name of several early saints, including one who in the 14th century, became regarded as the patron Saint of England.
Although the name was not used much in the Middle Ages, it rose in popularity after the ascession of the first king of England by that name in 1714, and has remained a popular English boys name since that time.
George was the given name of many kings, as well as the first president of the United States.
Some famous bearers of this name include: George Akerlof, and George Andrew Olah.
[ Mouse over or click on image for credit & details. ]
In contrast, the year before it ranked 124 in baby name popularity for boys with 3,161 occurrences. Less than 5 girls were given the name.
The trend's your friend. See how George has changed in popularity since 1880 by visiting the George Name Popularity Page.
George Related Names
The names Deorsa, Djordje, Djordji, Georg, Georges, Georgi, Georgiana, Georgitte, Georgiy, Georgo, Gjergj, Gorya, Granger, Grangere, Gyorgy, Gyorgyi, Gyorgyike, Gyuri, Gyurka, Iorghu, Irja, Jeorge, Jeorgi, Jeorjia, Jerzy, Jiri, Jirina, Jirka, Joeri, Joran, Jorcina, Jorck, Joren, Jorg, Jorge, Jorgelina, Jorgen, Jorgia, Jori, Jorian, Joris, Jorja, Jorn, Jorryn, Juraj, Jure, Jurek, Jurg, Jurgen, Jurgis, Juri, Jurij, Juris, Jurriaan, Jyri, Jyrki, Keoki, Kevork, Orjan, Seoirse, Seoras, Seorus, Sior, Siors, Siorus, Siorys, Sjors, Xurxo, Yegor, Yiorgos, Yorgos, Yorick, Yrjana, Yrjo, Yuriy are all forms of George.
George has the diminutive (nickname) Geordie.
- George ~ Saint
- George Akerlof ~ Nobel Prize for Economics 2001
- George Andrew Olah ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1994
- George Arliss ~ Actor
- George Armstrong ~ Ice Hockey Player
- George Bailey ~ It's a Wonderful Life character
- George Bass ~ Explorer
- George Beesley ~ Saint
- George Bernard Shaw ~ Nobel Prize for Literature 1925, Writer
- George Best ~ Soccer Player
- George Blanda ~ Football Player
- George Brett ~ Baseball Player
- George Burns ~ Actor
- George C. Scott ~ Actor
- George Canning ~ British Prime Minister (1827)
- George Chakiris ~ Actor
- George Clinton ~ Pop Musician
- George Clooney ~ Actor
- George Connor ~ Football Player
- George Davis ~ Baseball Player
- George Davis Snell ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1980
- George de Hevesy ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1943
- George Douglas ~ Saint
- George E. Smith ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 2009
- George Eastman ~ Scientist
- George Eliot ~ Writer
- George Emil Palade ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1974
- George Errington ~ Saint
- George Fayne ~ The Secret at Shadow Ranch character
- George Foreman ~ Boxer
- George Gaynes ~ Actor
- George Gershwin ~ Classical Musician
- George Gervase ~ Saint
- George Gervin ~ Basketball Player
- George Grenville ~ British Prime Minister (1763-1765)
- George H. Hitchings ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1988
- George H. W. Bush ~ U. S. President (1989-1993)
- George Hainsworth ~ Ice Hockey Player
- George Halas ~ Football Player
- George Hamilton Gordon ~ British Prime Minister (1852-1855)
- George Harrison ~ Musician
- George Hay ~ Ice Hockey Player
- George Haydock ~ Saint
- George Henry Corliss ~ Scientist, Business Mogul
- George Herman 'Babe' Ruth ~ Baseball Player
- George I ~ British King (1714-1727)
- George II ~ British King (1727-1760)
- George III ~ British King (1760-1820)
- George IV ~ British King (1820-1830)
- George Jones ~ Country Musician
- George Kell ~ Baseball Player
- George Kelly ~ Baseball Player
- George Kennedy ~ Actor
- George Knightley ~ Emma character
- George Lazenby ~ Actor
- George Lopez ~ Actor
- George Lucas ~ Film Director
- George Mallory ~ Explorer
- George Marshall ~ Nobel Prize for Peace 1953
- George McAfee ~ Football Player
- George McNamara ~ Ice Hockey Player
- George Mikan ~ Basketball Player
- George Milton ~ Of Mice and Men character
- George Minot ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1934
- George Musso ~ Football Player
- George Newbern ~ Actor
- George Nichols ~ Saint
- George Orwell ~ Writer
- George Osborne ~ Vanity Fair character
- George Paget Thomson ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 1937
- George Peppard ~ Actor
- George Porter ~ Nobel Prize for Chemistry 1967
- George R. R. Martin ~ Writer
- George Reid ~ Australian Prime Minister (1904-1905)
- George Richardson ~ Ice Hockey Player
- George Sand ~ Writer
- George Sanders ~ Actor
- George Segal ~ Actor
- George Sisler ~ Baseball Player
- George Smiley ~ Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy character
- George Smoot ~ Nobel Prize for Physics 2006
- George Soros ~ Business Mogul
- George Stephenson ~ Scientist
- George Stigler ~ Nobel Prize for Economics 1982
- George Takei ~ Actor
- George Trafton ~ Football Player
- George V ~ British King (1910-1936)
- George Vancouver ~ Explorer
- George VI ~ British King (1936-1952)
- George W. Bush ~ U. S. President (2001-2009)
- George Wald ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1967
- George Washington ~ U. S. President (1789-1797), Military Leader
- George Weasley ~ Harry Potter character
- George Wells Beadle ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1958
- George Westinghouse ~ Scientist
- George Whipple ~ Nobel Prize for Medicine 1934
- George Wickham ~ Pride and Prejudice character
- George Wright ~ Baseball Player
- George Yardley ~ Basketball Player
George Name Fun
Then just follow the diagram below.